At times, you may want to download a Twitter video on your smartphone for sharing it with someone, watching it repeatedly without the internet, or for evidence. While the official Twitter app and the website make it easy to save images, there is no official way to download videos locally. Well, there’s a workaround!
To help, here are the easiest ways to download Twitter videos on iPhone and Android.
2 easiest ways to download Twitter videos on iPhone
1. Using a third-party website
- Copy the tweet link: Open the Twitter app → tap the arrow icon below the tweet → tap Copy Link. You may also do the same from a browser.
- Visit DownloadTwitterVideo.com on your iPhone or iPad.
- Paste the URL here and tap Download MP4.
Most likely, it will open an ad in a new tab. Close this tab.
- Tap Right click here and choose ‘Save link as…’
- Tap Download.
- You can check the status by tapping the download button in the top right. Once the download completes, tap the video.
- Next, tap the Share icon to send this video to friends via other apps.
- Or, tap Save Video to save it to the Photos app.
Note: You may also use apps like Documents by Readdle and other Twitter Video Download websites. But since the above website and Safari do the job, there is no need to download a third-party app. To download Twitter videos on the computer, you may use the same website mentioned above.
2. Using a shortcut
The above method is straightforward. However, due to ads (and sometimes server failure), you might want to look for some other alternative. Here is an excellent option that is quick, ad-free, and doesn’t require copying a link. However, it involves adding a third-party shortcut to your iPhone.
Before you begin, you will have to enable untrusted shortcuts. For this, open the Settings app → Shortcuts → enable Allow Untrusted Shortcuts → Allow → enter device passcode. Once done, follow the below steps to download Twitter videos on your iPhone using the shortcut.
- Visit tvdl.app using Safari and tap Get the Shortcut.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Add Untrusted Shortcut.
- Open the Twitter app and tap the arrow icon below the video tweet.
- Tap Share via…
- Tap TVDL v3.1 (This number may be different for you.)
- From the notification, tap OK.
- Choose the desired video quality and tap OK.
- Allow the shortcut to access the Photos app so that it can save the video locally. And you’re done!
Note: You have to follow steps 6 to 8 only for the first time. After that, you have to select the video quality.
How to download Twitter videos on Android
You can download the Twitter videos on Android using the web-based method similar to iPhone. Alternatively, you can also install a third-party application from Google Play Store specially designed for this purpose.
I have detailed the second method as it is straightforward and comes in handy. To get started, follow the below steps.
- Install Download Twitter Videos for free from the Play Store.
(You may also use other Twitter video downloader apps like +Download 4 Instagram Twitter.)
- Open the Twitter app and visit the Tweet that has the video.
- Tap the tiny share icon → Share Tweet via… → Choose Download Twitter.
- Give the necessary access permissions, if asked. Choose a video quality (HD = high definition, which is the best video quality. SD = standard definition.) If the video starts playing, tap the back button.
- The download will begin immediately. You can check the file in the Photo Gallery.
You may also tap the share icon here and send it directly to chat apps.
Note: If you use the Twitter website instead of the app, here’s how you can download the video. Open the Twitter video in the browser → tap the Share icon → tap Copy link to Tweet → open the Download Twitter Videos app and paste the link there → tap the download icon from the lower-right. Next, choose the video quality, and the download will begin immediately.